Everything you wanted to know about nuclear technology and were afraid they’d ask!
Click here for the course flyer.
Click here for the course agenda
The two-day Nuclear-101 course is specifically designed for individuals (including students) within the nuclear community (with or without a technical background) who find themselves interacting with the public. The course will provide you with a good understanding of nuclear and energy fundamentals, along with the tools to explain to others in simple, factual terms how the technology works, some of the interesting twists and turns of its exciting history, and the important contribution nuclear science and technology makes to our society.
The course will be taught by three of Canada’s leading nuclear educators, Doug Boreham, Benjamin Rouben and Jason Donev It will consist of three modules, and will include demonstrations, Q&A, and a discussion of each module’s relevance to public outreach:
- Energy and the Nuclear Fuel Cycle
- Facts, Myths, and Historical Review of the Nuclear Industry
- Health Risks of Radiation
How to Register
This outreach course is being offered by the Canadian Nuclear Society (CNS).
Click here to register online. The cost of the 2-day course is $495 (HST included), and will cover all materials. Full-time university students may register at a discounted rate of $300 (HST included). Register early to avoid disappointment.
Who should register
- Anyone in the nuclear community who regularly speaks to the public (or is interested in speaking to the public) and would like to be able to explain nuclear technology in simple, factual terms.
- Anyone who has ever been asked “difficult” questions about the past, present, and future of the industry – and wishes he/she knew the answer.
- Anyone who would like to broaden his/her knowledge about Canadian nuclear science and technology: its history, current status and future potential.
Venue and Accommodations
The course will be held at the Courtyard Marriott Ottawa East and Conference Centre, 200 Coventry Road, Ottawa, ON, K1K 4S3. Guestrooms may be reserved by calling the Courtyard
By phone: Call reservations at (613) 741-9862 and ask to book under group code: (CNS)
Dedicated website: Canadian Nuclear Society
Directions to Courtyard Ottawa East and Ottawa Convention and Event Centre
On public transit: OCTranspo Link to find best route by public transit - http://www.octranspo.com/routes/travelplanner